Albert Creed 1925 – 2020 – Obituary –

23July 2020

Albert Anderson Creed Augusta, GA– Albert Anderson Creed died peacefully at his home in Augusta, Georgia on Tuesday, July 21, 2020 after a courageous fight with Alzheimer’s disease. Al was born in Augusta on November 13, 1925, to Euly Cleveland Creed, Sr. and Ellen Gertrude Griffin Creed. He was part of a generation that left a powerful legacy, typically referred to as “America’s Greatest Generation.” Throughout his long life Al was a favored, loyal, hard-working, patriotic, family man.A kid of the fantastic depression, Al learned early the value of work. Unlike numerous others, his household didn’t suffer extreme financial difficulty during the depression since his dad was a railroad engineer and the trains continued to run, however money was not lost in the Creed household. If Al wanted frivolous things he was expected to make them. He started passing out flyers on foot when he was eight years of ages. By the time he was 12 he had actually earned enough to buy a Schwinn bicycle, making it possible for him to have a paper path. He liked throwing papers however a lot of his customers were unable to pay when he went to gather, so he went to work for Western Union, becoming a shipment clerk at the age of 15. His strong work-ethic continued throughout his life; he lastly retired at the age of 82.
Al’s life was not all work during his childhood and teen years, he had fond memories of playing at May Park as a child where there was always adult supervision and planned activities. He likewise loved swimming in the ponds at Merry’s brickyard while trying not to disturb the snakes; playing with his cousin’s electrical train set and its “miles and miles” of extra track that extended from room to space in his aunt’s home; and the enjoyment of being welcomed by his Papa to ride along on genuine trains, checking recently reconditioned engines for short runs on the main line. As a teen Al was very active in social dancing, DeMolay, the Triangle Club, the debating group, arranged sports, his high school studies, his jobs, and his veteran membership in troop 19 of the Young Boy Scouts of America. Due to the above activities, Al decided to leave of hunting during his junior year of high school, ending any chance of ending up being an Eagle Scout like his older bro. Years later on Al would state that was the only time in his life that he understood his dad was dissatisfied in him.Swimming was Al’s favorite sport, and due to some strenuous training he got from the American Red Cross and the YMCA, he ended up being a licensed lifeguard when he was 15. That prepared him for his position as head lifeguard at Lake Olmstead during the summer seasons of 1941 and 1942. Lots of stories of Al’s high school years were published in the Augusta Chronicle, consisting of descriptions of outfits and decorations for dances and celebrations. Those were much-deserved carefree years for teenagers that had grown up throughout the great anxiety, however the carefree years would not last. World War II stepped in, calling a stop to the elegant dances and celebrations they had actually as soon as taken pleasure in. In truth, in an effort to conserve paper for the war effort, Al’s senior class did not have a yearbook when they graduated.The Academy of Richmond County was still an all-male military school when Al finished on May 26, 1942; he was 16 years old. After graduation he registered in some classes at Augusta Junior College, but with an uncertain future it was impractical to set concrete goals for his education; there simply wouldn’t be time to finish anything.At the height of WWII, Al employed in the U. S. Navy on 23 September 1943. He was 17; just 2 months shy of his 18th birthday. He had actually wanted be a pilot, however his color blindness was found during bootcamp which kept him out of flight school. Instead, he went to radio school in Memphis, Tennessee and then to Gunnery School at Banana River, Florida. Finally, he was stationed at Brunson Field in Pensacola, Florida, working as an air travel radio gunner in a PBY Squadron, patrolling the Caribbean Sea for enemy submarines. When the war in Europe began winding down, Al was sent out to San Diego, California for training as a radio gunner on SP2C dive bombers. After completing that training he was on his way to Coronado, California to sign up with a squadron aboard the provider vessel Bon Homme Richard in the Pacific theater. That is when fate stepped in: Atomic bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, resulting in Japan’s compliance with the terms of surrender in the summer season of 1945. Al’s orders were changed; with 8 months left on his enlistment, he was sent to Great Lakes, Illinois where he was provided a desk job, out-processing sailors until he had finished his active duty.With his respectable discharge from the United States Navy in hand, Al pursued college degrees on the G. I. Bill beginning in 1946 and ending in 1951. Because it had actually been numerous years considering that he had actually graduated from high school, he took some refresher courses at Augusta Junior College, now Augusta University, prior to registering at Spring Hill College, a Jesuit school in Mobile, Alabama. After one term at Spring Hill he transferred to Emory University in Atlanta, graduating in 1949 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in biology and chemistry. In 1949 Al enrolled in graduate school at the University of Georgia in Athens, pursuing a Master’s Degree in bio-chemistry. He finished his research studies in 1951 and accepted a position with Parke Davis Pharmaceuticals, working in Ann Arbor, Michigan as a chemist, but after a couple of years in the laboratory Al ended up being conscious of how much more he might make in the sales department, so he transferred there. Parke Davis moved him to Knoxville, Tennessee, Charlotte, North Carolina and Jacksonville, Florida as a pharmaceutical sales representative. It was in Jacksonville that Al met the love of his life, Linda Lou Clark. They wed ten months after they met.Eventually, Al was charmed far from Parke Davis by a Swedish pharmaceutical and bio technological company, Pharmacia. Initially he enjoyed taking a trip to Sweden and Canada, finding out about a new blood guide the business was introducing, however the abundance of travel while covering 5 southeastern states as a hospital male eventually ended up being tedious. Pharmacia had moved Al, Linda and their kid, Todd, to Orlando, FL, a somewhat drowsy town at that time, prior to Disney located there. Al left home every Monday morning and returned Friday night, and life on the roadway was lonely. In 1968 Al made the decision to leave the pharmaceutical industry and go into the life insurance coverage organisation, making it possible for him to hang out with his family throughout the week.Al’s commitment to his new career was intense. He made the Chartered Life Underwriter(CLU)degree from the American College of Life Underwriters and certified every year for the Million Dollar Roundtable, the National Quality Award and the National Sales Achievement Award. After their daughter, Alyson, was born, Al was presented with an opportunity to finance life insurance coverage for American military personnel stationed in Germany. He and Linda leapt at the opportunity to live abroad, and invested eight wonderful years taking a trip, taking their children on every trip. They swam in the Mediterranean and Adriatic Seas, skied in the Austrian Alps, rode camels in Egypt and donkeys in Spain, golfed in the Canary Islands, crossed the English Channel on a hovercraft, walked through the Garden of Gethsemane, the tulip fields of Holland, the Castle in Greece, the Colosseum in Italy, the Baalbek Temple complex in Lebanon, visited hundreds of castles, palaces, cathedrals and Mosques in Europe, Africa and Asia minor. Throughout those years Al still discovered time to lead the firm in sales every year, and function as president of the European Association of Life Underwriters.In 1977 Al moved his household back to the states, settling in his home town of Augusta where he and Linda finished raising their kids. They signed up with Reid Memorial Presbyterian Church where Al served terms as president of the”Becomers”Sunday school class, superintendent of Sunday schools, a Deacon and later an Elder. Al continued his profession in the life insurance company, served as President of the Augusta Chapter of Chartered Life Underwriters and instructed courses for the Life Underwriters Training Council, finally retiring from company in 2008. Throughout retirement he continued his long-lasting enthusiasm for reading and travel, playing golf, politics, following his cherished Georgia Bulldogs on fall Saturday afternoons, and enjoying life’s easy enjoyments with Linda.Al is made it through by his loving wife, Linda Clark Creed, his son and daughter-in-law, Todd Clark Creed and Frances McGinnis Creed and his grand son, Tanner Claiborne Creed, all of Fruit Cove, FL; his granddaughter and namesake, Anderson Creed Jenkins of Savannah, GA; and his son-in-law, Larry Don Jenkins of Pooler, GA. He was preceded in death by his precious child, Alyson Creed Jenkins and his grandson, Tyler Clark Creed, both of whom died much too young.From his former
marital relationship, Al is endured by his daughters, Patricia Creed Braswell(Wayne) of Midlothian, VA and Dr. Marcia Creed King (John)of Fernandina Beach, FL; a granddaughter, Devon Braswell Hamlett (David), and a great-granddaughter, Harper Grace Hamlett, all of Henrico, VA. He was predeceased by his child, Karen Ann Creed.In keeping with the practice of social distancing throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, a graveside service will be held at Westover Memorial Park, Saturday, July 25, 2020 at 11 am, 2601 Wheeler Road, Augusta, GA. The Reverend Dr. Robert Leslie Holmes will officiate. The family will greet pals right away after the service.The family wishes to thank Ms. Pamela Morgan Williams for her thoughtful care throughout Al’s illness. Gratitude is likewise reached Al’s Home Based Medical care Group with the Veterans Affairs Medical Center, his therapy team with Amedisys House Health, his assistants with Home Help Companions and his MSA Hospice team for the kindness and care they offered, making it possible for Al to be at house with Linda until he was launched into the caring arms of God.If so desired, memorial contributions in Al’s honor may be made to the Alzheimer’s Association at!.?.!.Thomas Poteet & Son Funeral Directors, 214 Davis Rd., Augusta, GA 30907(706 )364-8484. Please sign the guestbook at Sign the guestbook at obits The Augusta Chronicle-07/23/2020 Published in The Augusta Chronicle from Jul. 23 to Jul. 24, 2020. Source:
Our Score
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Upgrade Your Listing

Add images, video, and more details to your listing! More information means more clicks. More clicks means more quotes!

Free listing includes: business name, address, phone, website, google map

Upgraded listing includes: business name, address, phone, website, EMAIL ADDRESS, COMPANY LOGO, VIDEO, IMAGE SLIDE SHOW, FEATURED LISTING PLACEMENT